Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Quarter-Finals Round 1 REVIEWS

Overall some pretty weak talent in my opinion, but there are a few acts worthy of the semi-finals.
My review of the first night of performances:

BREAKS8
I liked their first audition much better. This performance was indeed very slow, just as Sharon pointed out. There was not much dancing; it was more just them standing in place and doing things with their upper body. I understand they wanted to do something more and add a 'story' to it how they were being robbers, but I think they needed to save that for the semi-finals/finals. They should have just done pure dance/skating/break dancing. It was really just mediocre.



THIA MAGUIA
There is no doubt that Thia Maguia has an amazing voice. She really performed "The Climb" very well, but I really don't think she will win. She is basically Bianca Ryan II, and Bianca won but did not do very well after she won. She is amazing, but I don't know how far she will go.

PLATT BROTHERS
The judges were spot on. The Platt Brothers did too many different things, and it was very confusing. I really don't know what to call their act. They needed to focus on one idea, and I liked their first audition much better. I thought they had potential, but now I'm not so sure.

THE DIVA LEAGUE
I'm sorry, but this is just not an entertaining act. They lip-synced to a song while doing minimal dance moves in place. Yes, the effects and smoke and costumes were very cool, but it's about the talent, and in my opinion they really do not have any.

MANUELA HORN
I don't think she should have gotten past the audition phase in the first place, but Manuela Horn really failed with this performance. She did not yodel, and that was her only talent which was minimum anyways. It was an interesting idea, but poor execution. She better not pass this round...

GRANDMA LEE
I have to say I liked her first audition better, but Grandma Lee is definitely pretty funny. She has some good jokes, but I have trouble seeing it sustain a Las Vegas show. It is generally very hard for non-music acts to get far in America's Got Talent, but Grandma Lee IS talented, and I think she did pretty well.

MOSAIC
I found Mosaic to be the best act all night. Their vocal performance was outstanding, and they really did well. Their arrangement wasn't the best, but I definitely think they have talent and will most likely go far in this competition. They really sang well and the whole thing was just very cool.

ACRODUNK
I still can't see what everybody saw in them during their performance. Yes, I thought their first audition was really really good and very cool, but I thought this performance was very bland with a little too much going on. I just can't see them dunking for an hour straight in Las Vegas. It gets sort of boring. Yes, they are talented, but this performance didn't do it for me.

ARCADIAN BROAD
He is truly a talented boy. I really liked him and thought he danced AND played the piano very well. He really is a great dancer, and this was a great song choice for him. Overall it was great.

DREW THOMAS MAGIC
The act was good, but I have to say that it was very boring sitting their and watching nothing going on for 90 seconds while 'the magic happened'. It was literally 90 seconds of three people walking around a box with blow torches, and that was boring. I think I might now how part of the trick was done, so he really didn't do it for me this time, but I would still like to see him do more. I just love magicians in general.

KEVIN SKINNER
I honestly don't think he is that talented. The song was fine but I don't see anything special in him. They are just trying to make him out to be another Susan Boyle, and I don't think it's working. This performance was just mediocre and I don't think he sings that well.

LAKE HOUSTON PERFORMING ARTS CENTER
I thought they did very well tonight. I liked their dance, and I thought it was neat idea to do the sleepover thing. However, I think they can get repetitive and all they seemed to do were those spinning kicks. I think they are talented, but I'm not sure what else they can bring to their performance.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are the five acts I think deserve a spot in the semi-finals:

-Mosaic
-Arcadian Broad
-Lake Houston Performing Arts Center
-Drew Thomas Magic
-Thia Maguia
------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment