Wednesday, July 13, 2011

(6) Quarter-Finals Round 1 REVIEW

Overall, I am a little disappointed in this first quarter-finals round. The talent wasn't all the that great and I was sort of disappointed with the acts they chose to stick together in this first round.

Miami All Stars
I tend to like dance groups a lot, but I don't think the Miami All Stars are as cool as some of the other dance acts that have been on the show before. They are not particularly precise or together in their movements and the staging seems to be off balance at some times. I do like the cool flips they do and how they are a different style of dance than is usually on the show.

Dezmond Meeks
It is a plus that he also plays the piano, and his voice is pretty good. However, I don't think it was a good song choice for him because it sounded a little screechy sometimes. I also agree with Sharon and Howie about it being a little too cheesy/cabaret.

Those Funny Little People
I still don't understand how they made it to the live shows in the first place, but I am confident that America will not send them through to the semi-finals. The problem is that they don't really dance or sing so there's not much talent involved. It's just a bunch of people in suits who move around.

Fearless Flores Family
It is very cool but it is somewhat boring to watch after a while because they just go around and around. I like how they took it to the next level by adding another rider but I do see it being somewhat limiting as to where they can take it from here and how long they can actually go around and around.

Squonk Opera
It was really just too weird for me. The girl not have a good voice, either. It was too screechy and the music was not good. It was sort of cool with the effects but nothing else.

J Chris Newberg
Having those kids there was kind of random, and I thought only some of his jokes were funny. Overall, I'm really not sure what to think. It was OK, but not worth a million dollars in my opinion.

Snap Boogie
The beginning was a little boring to me since he did a lot of basic movements but it definitely got better towards the end. The dancing is very cool and I liked the whole thing with the backup dancers.

Echo
That bird is very cool and very funny, but I'm not sure how much more he can really do, especially considering he already repeated some of his tricks. I'm also worried about him not pulling through again like in Las Vegas. Overall, it was very entertaining to watch and I like this act.

The Fiddleheads
The main guy is a very good singer, but I agree that it is not a very good song choice. I like when they do current songs in a different way like in their first audition. I'm just not sure, however, that they are good enough to make it through.

Duo Aero
It is very cool what they do but it is definitely somewhat boring after a while. I also agree that it was too dated and should have been more modern.

Anna Graceman
I have no doubt that she will go far in the competition; America usually likes talented child singers. She is a really good singer and it is great that she plays the piano as well since that adds to her abilities.

Sandou Trio Russian Bar
That is so scary to watch! Every time she jumps I get scared, but it is definitely a good entertainment act. It is, however, a bit repetitive and I'm not sure how long I could watch her jump, flip, and land.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Here are the four acts I think deserve a spot in the Semi-Finals:

Miami All Stars
Snap Boogie
Anna Graceman
Sandou Russian Bar Trio

No comments:

Post a Comment