Tuesday, July 26, 2011

(6) Quarter-Finals Round 3 REVIEW

Another great night full of talent! There were some really great acts and I am very curious to see who America votes through.


Summerwind Skippers
Their performance tonight was very cool and very fun to watch. I've never seen anything like that before. It was fast-paced and full of action, and the tricks they did were very cool. Their choice of music, costumes, and set were all great and really added to their show. (Click for YouTube Video)


SH'Boss Boys
When they first started, I got nervous that they were going to sing ABC the whole time and weren't going to do their own music. I was very glad to see them switch over halfway through. I agree that they have the cuteness factor but I wasn't overly impressed by their performance. Their voices are kind of annoying sometimes and I'm not sure they could really do well in a Vegas show. (Click for YouTube Video)


Mauricio Herrera
His voice was not very good at a lot of points during his performance, and I just wasn't impressed. It's not worthy of a headline show. I see him as more of a bar entertainer or something like that. He is really just not up to par with the other acts on the show. (Click for YouTube Video)


Seth Grabel
At first I was concerned because his act was moving a little slow, but after he dropped into the pit it started moving more quickly. The trick definitely wasn't what I expected, and he surprised me in a good way, doing something more than just 'escaping from the jacket'. He expanded on this idea and did something very cool. (Click for YouTube Video)


Poplyfe
I know the judges loved their performance, but I wasn't all that impressed by them. I won't deny that her voice is amazing and worthy of doing well, but the arrangement of the song was a little strange and I the background voices were not very good. I don't see the point of the band yet, but won't dispute that girl's voice. (Click for YouTube Video)


Ian Johnson
Ignoring what he did for a second, I have to mention that I did not like the background dancers. They distracted from the yo-yoing and made it more difficult to focus on him. Now, I will admit that they yo-yoing is very cool, but I think it is more close up entertainment rather than something that is entertaining from a far distance, especially if you have far seats. (Click for YouTube Video)


Landou Eugene Murphy, Jr.
He has a great voice and I think he gave a great performance tonight. He reminds me a little bit of Kevin Skinner because he comes from poverty and has a voice that you wouldn't expect based on the way he looks. I personally didn't like Kevin Skinner but this guy is good. (Click for YouTube Video)


Purrfect Angelz
I have to say that I think Sharon was right in saying that they are more of an opening act, and not necessarily worthy of headlining a show. They are good dancers and whatnot, but it really just wasn't anything special. I like how they tried to incorporate aerial work but I don't think it was enough to make them worthy of moving on to the Semi-Finals. (Click for YouTube Video)


Monet
Her voice really did not sound that good tonight. She sounded off key in a lot of places and I honestly just don't think she is ready for this type of competition. I'm not even sure how she got to the live shows in the first place. (Click for YouTube Video)


Captain & Maybelle
I must say that I usually hate these types of side-show / danger acts, but I was actually very entertained by these two. Their 'stunts' were fairly simple and it was just so hard to watch that I literally screamed out loud, but I still found myself entertained by the things that they did. It was a cute little 'story' to go along with it and I really enjoyed their act. (Click for YouTube Video)


Lys Agnes
She has a really great voice and I could really tell that she was emotionally into the music. She reminds of Barbara Padilla because they both sang opera and had sad stories, so I wouldn't be surprised if she made it to the finale just because America seems to like opera singers and/or people with sad stories. And if this is what happens I can't complain because she is no doubt very talented. (Click for YouTube Video)


Professor Splash
I can't help but think his act just doesn't come off as amazing on TV as it does live in front of you. When I watched it I wasn't overly terrified or amazed, but when Piers talked about how he could look up and see him however many feet above, I sort of got the idea that in person this act is probably very amazing. Overall it is cool but I'm just not that impressed. (Click for YouTube Video)


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MY PICKS FOR THE NEXT ROUND:

Summerwind Skippers: very cool
Seth Grabel: I want to see more
Captain & Maybelle: gruesome but entertaining
Lys Agnes: great voice and very passionate

2 comments:

  1. Sorry but the only person I see worthy out of your picks of making it is Lys Agnes or maybe Summerwind skippers.

    Seth Grabel- wasn't entertaining enough and somewhat predictable. It is a toss up between him,the summerwind skippers, and the Sh bosh boys-imo

    Captain & Maybelle are good but too gruesome. They also have a lot moments when they arent doing anything but horsing around. There were way better acts than this one last night.

    My pics are:Landau Eugene- the crowd lovvvveed him and he got great reviews. I think his spot is secure unless fate intervenes.

    Poplyfe- They have a lot of charisma and energy. It may not have been flawless but overall it was a great performance. Not to mention they would do well with teens. I think they will bring the heat in the finals.

    Lys Agnes- she sang so effortlessly and was clearly the best singer of the night. I think that speaks volumes

    The fourth position is a toss up between the ropers, the magician, professor splash, and sh bosh. each had its downside but had great appeal and likeability. either one could on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After thinking about it, I somewhat agree with your take on Seth Grabel. I also agree that Landou Eugene is a good singer and am sure he will make it through but I would personally like to see a non-singer win this year.

    ReplyDelete