Wednesday, July 20, 2011

(6) Quarter-Finals Round 2 REVIEW

Again I find myself somewhat disappointed with the talent tonight. The judges always say "this is the best talent we've ever had" and then the acts just don't deliver. I won't deny that some acts were brilliant, but some were just so sub-par.

Attack Dance Crew
I tend to really like dance groups, but I will admit that I was not particularly impressed by this performance. I think it's great that they tried to include some stunts, but they needed to work on being more tight and together in a few places. Overall, I thought it was pretty cool, but definitely not better than Studio One Young Beast Society from last year or even other groups I've seen on this show before.

Dani Shay
I agree with the judges that she didn't pick the greatest song to sing. She should have chosen something more popular but also something that showcased her voice better; there were only a few parts in that song that really let her belt it out and show how good of a singer she is. It got better when she stood up and started singing without the guitar though. In general, she is a very pure person but this performance was not as good as it could have been.

Geechy Guy
Some of his jokes were funny, and some weren't. That in itself is the problem with comedy; it's too subjective, especially for a show like AGT. I highly doubt he will advance.

Daniel Joseph Baker
This guy is a really, really great singer. He has an amazing voice and really put on a great show tonight. The song choice, costume, and choreography were all very well chosen and I was really impressed. He has a fierce personality and I think it will take him far.

The Rhinestone Ropers
BORING! This was too big of a change from the danger that we saw in their first performance. They really stepped it down a notch. That performance would not even get them past the first round of auditions. I was very disappointed and it was not very cool to watch. I understand that the horse was intimidated, but Piers is right in saying that they did not need to use the horse if they thought there was any chance that it might not perform to its fullest ability.

Dylan Andre
He's really nothing special. He's got a good voice and looks the part, but he's really nothing special. Usually America falls for the young male singers (like Michael Grimm, Season 5 winner for example), but I don't think Dylan is good enough.

Landon Swank
His illusion was certainly very cool, but the WOW moment only lasted for like 5 seconds before it was over. The build up to the trick was a little slow and I think he needed to do something that caught the audience's attention the entire time.

Smage Bros. Riding Shows
First off, I don't like there name. It is too cheesy and should just be 'Smage Bros.' or something. Anyways, in terms of their act, it reminds me a lot of Jeremy VanSchoonhoven from last season except with one more person and motor bikes instead of regular bikes. For this reason, I am not particularly impressed because the motor bikes give them more power to jump on the things than if they had regular bikes. Also, it feels more dangerous when they are jumping around the guy on the floor rather than when they are just jumping on top of those platforms. Maybe it just doesn't come of as good through the TV...

Thomas John
The act was kind of funny at the beginning and made me smile, but you simply cannot drop anything at this stage in this competition. It's unfortunate that it happened but what can you do.

Steven Retchless
His act is really pretty cool. It's a little weird to watch at first but it looks like it takes a lot of strength to do something like that and I applaud him.

Mona Lisa
Something about the way they sounded when they sang together sort of bothered me but their separate voices were pretty good. I also liked their song choice and the set behind them. They are good singers but there is really no WOW factor here and I've heard better singers.

Silhouettes
This is one of my favorite acts! I liked them from the first time I saw them and was so excited for this performance. I have no doubt they will go far in the competition, and I am so excited to see what they bring next. Their performance tonight was so cool, unique, and clever. It was fun to watch but also graceful at the same time.



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Top 4:

Daniel Joseph Baker
Landon Swank
Steven Retchless
Silhouettes

No comments:

Post a Comment