Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Semi-Finals Round 1 REVIEW

This was by far the best night of talent so far on this show. I cannot say anything horribly bad about any act that performed tonight. I am overwhelmed by the talent and I know America has a very tough choice tonight. 

1. Acrodunk
Although I still think their act can get a bit repetitive, I think they really brought it to a new level tonight, and really showed what they can do. The dunking was great and spot on, and it was very intense to watch them jump through the ring of fire. They've got a lot of energy, but I'm not sure how far they can really take it. 

2. The Texas Tenors
The Texas Tenors were definitely great tonight. All three of them have amazing voices; it's not like those groups where only one of the singers is actually good. My only critique on them is that I would like to hear their voices blend a little more. When they sing you can distinctly hear three different voices. Although the three voices are great, I still felt that the performance was a little much with the operatic style and power. They definitely know how to sing, and they really have powerful voices. 

3. Paradizo Dance
At first I really liked their act, but the more I thought about it the more I realized how limiting it really is. I can definitely say they did different things this time than anytime before, and it is really very cool. After hearing the judges comments, I would have to agree that their older acts are better in the manner of being slow and romantic. They tried to do something cute, and it worked to some extent. I would definitely like to see her lift him more, as that is what makes the act different from ones like it in the world. 

4. Drew Thomas Magic
I must admit that this act was not as exciting and grand as I was hoping it would be. I generally like magicians, but Drew Thomas gave us the same trick: disappearing/appearing women in different sized boxes/chests/whatever. I would have liked to have seen something more original like the trick in his quarter-final performance. However, I do admit I am still amazed at how he does it. 

5. Tony Hoard & Rory
My only problem with this act is it's repetitive nature. It's definitely entertaining and fun and talented, but I would like to see the dog do something other than 'dance' and catch disks. I could tell they tried to do something different tonight when Rory was supposed to jump on the three peoples' backs, but unfortunately he got sort of distracted and only managed to jump the last two at the last minute. No, he didn't drop any disks, but I have a hard time putting him through over the other acts. 

6. The Voices of Glory
I still liked their first performance better, but that girl can really sing. They are all pretty talented kids, and deserve recognition for their talent and attitude. I definitely think they need to let the girl do more of the solo/lead singing, but they can definitely make a really good sound if they all sing together and blend just right. 

7. Fab Five
Considering I naturally tend to like dance acts like this one, I really have to say that they amazed me again tonight. They were really great and gave us something different. I would like to see perhaps something slower so we can really see all the skill that these women have. I don't think we give them enough credit for being able to tap dance that well and together with precision. 


8. Grandma Lee
I really think the jokes in her first audition were much better, but Grandma Lee certainly has pizazz. Her jokes were funny, but not the laugh out loud kind of funny. Unfortunately, I don't think they're quite funny/strong enough to allow her to move on compared to some of the other acts that performed tonight. She's a strong-willed, amazing woman, but I don't think she really deserves one million dollars. 

9. Arcadian Broad
Arcadian is no doubt a very talented dancer, but I don't think his performance tonight really displayed his true capabilities. He told us that it wasn't really his choice to do High School Musical (prompting Nick to ensure the audience that the acts get the final say in what they perform - which you can believe or not), and I think he was right in not wanting to do it. I would have liked to see him do more wild dancing across the stage to really showcase his talent. 

10. Kevin Skinner
I still can't figure out why this guy is so great, but I will admit that he gives off some pretty strong emotion. When it comes to his singing, I don't know if it's because I'm getting it through the TV or what, but I just don't feel like he's that good of a singer. He's just another Susan Boyle fad, and I hope it wears off before the finale voting. He's good, but not good enough to win the competition in my opinion.

Again, really great talent tonight, making this decision really hard, but here are my Top 4:
-Fab Five
-Texas Tenors
-Voices of Glory
-Paradizo Dance

No comments:

Post a Comment