Tuesday, August 9, 2011

(6) Quarter-Finals Round 5 [YouTube] REVIEW

TNC Elite
I thought their performance was pretty good, but I was hoping it would be better. I felt like the clogging was a little off with the music, or as Sharon put it, was 'fighting' the music. Considering how fast their clogging was, I think they should have chosen a faster song. It was much better when the music stopped and they clogged on their own. (Click for YouTube Link)


Illusionist Brett Daniels
In terms of the magic, I must say I was very impressed by the actual trick in the act, particularly at the end when the girl disappeared. In terms of the presentation, I thought it was very modern but could have been executed better. I agree with Piers that the middle part was too boring and too slow. I definitely think this guy has potential but maybe should have done something filled with more action. (Click for YouTube Link)

Gabe Rocks
I must admit my first thought was 'oh no, not another animal act, they never go far'. After watching this performance I can see that I was basically right. Yeah he's cute, yeah it was funny when he pissed on Piers, yeah he did some cool-ish things, but no, this act is not worth a million dollars. His performance wasn't perfect (she had to help him a couple times) and I just don't think it he can beat out some of the other acts on the show. (Click for YouTube Link)

Aeon
I really have to agree with Sharon on this one: it was just too repetitive. What they do is definitely very cool and looks like it takes a lot of skill, but I honestly just thought it was boring after a while. The guy on the hoola-hoop was probably the best part, and I already saw some guy do that as part of a professional act during one of the results shows. I just don't think I could watch them flip over and over again for much longer than those 90 seconds. (Click for YouTube Link)


Breena Bell
I did enjoy the performance, but I just don't think it's right for this show. If this were a children's competition then maybe, but on America's Got Talent I just don't think it works. Maybe it would be better if there were four or five girls all doing it together, but she's just one person. She is definitely a very cute girl, though, and has a unique ability. (Click for YouTube Link)

Kevin Colis
How refreshing! It's nice to see something like this after the last few performances. It was a good song choice and his voice is pretty good too. It's not spectacular, but it's definitely good. Considering the other singers in the competition and what America tends to like, I think he definitely has a chance of advancing. (Click for YouTube Link)


Beth Ann Robinson
I don't think they've had a solo dancer on the show in a while, so this was nice to see. I must say it was surprisingly entertaining for a solo dancer, considering that group dancing tends to be more popular, particularly modern group dancing. She is very graceful for someone her age. Her style of dance definitely puts her at a disadvantage but America did vote Steven Retchless through so anything is really possible. (Click for YouTube Link)


Gymkana
That was probably the most well put together act of the night. It was very professional and unique. The stuff they did on that ladder was very cool. I also loved how they tumbled in sync with each other. Overall, it was a very slick performance that I personally think even beats out Zuma Zuma. I agree that it was a little repetitive at some points, but I was overall impressed and entertained. (Click for YouTube Link)

Kalani Basketball Freestyle
His tricks are definitely cool, and I've never seen anybody do some of that stuff with a basketball before. Overall, however, I wasn't overly impressed. His act is a lot like the juggler and the yoyo-er from the previous rounds who did cool tricks, messed up once or twice, and then didn't make it through. I'm afraid that is likely going to be the case for this guy. He is no doubt talented, but just not good enough I don't think. (Click for YouTube Link)


West Springfield Dance Team
They definitely add a different twist by being all 'creepy' and whatever. When it comes to the dancing, I was definitely impressed. They were very tight and together have the advantage of there being a lot of them. I held them to the same level as Fatally Unique, and I must say they really delivered. They were nearly as good as Fatally Unique and honestly were more 'Unique' by being all creepy and whatnot. Overall, very good act. (Click for YouTube Link)

Matt Wilhelm
It is definitely an interesting idea, but I honestly found it kind of boring. I was just expecting something more and found it kind of repetitive. It was like a mash-up of Fighting Gravity and Jeremy VanSchoonhoven, but I found it less entertaining then both. Maybe I am missing something, but I wasn't particularly impressed. (Click for YouTube Link)

Powerhouse
I'm actually surprised that they've never really had a show choir on America's Got Talent before, but I think it comes down to the fact that it's not for everyone, as Howie confirms. I personally love show choirs, so I definitely enjoyed the performance. It wasn't great I don't think, but it was good. I'm just not sure, however, that it is right for this show. Overall, a good performance. (Click for YouTube Link)


MY RANKING:
(from best act to worst)

1. West Springfield Dance Team
2. Beth Ann Robinson
3. Gymkana
4. Kevin Colis

5. Powerhouse
6. Illusionist Brett Daniels
7. TNC Elite
8. Matt Wilhelm
9. Kalani Basketball Freestyle
10. Breena Bell
11. Aeon
12. Gabe Rocks

No comments:

Post a Comment