Tuesday, August 23, 2011

(6) Semi-Finals Round 1 REVIEW

Zuma Zuma
What they do is definitely very unique and cool. The formations they make just by standing on each other in different ways are really interesting. However, I don't think this performance was better than their first one. It was not as exciting and there weren't as many stunts. They wasted too much time doing the stupid fire-eating and limbo-ing Overall, I was somewhat disappointed because I was expecting more jumping and stunts. (Click for YouTube Link)

Beth Ann Robinson
She is a very graceful dancer, and she really takes control of the stage. I definitely enjoyed the performance, but it does concern me that the dancing could a little repetitive after a while compared to some of the other acts. I also liked the mirrors on the stage; it added a little something to the performance. Overall, I am very impressed with her dancing and her ability to make solo dancing so interesting to watch.  (Click for YouTube Link)


Sandou Trio Russian Bar
I understand their desire to show something different, but that never works on this show (i.e. Rhinestone Ropers). Her voice is not that good, the ribboning was not that good, and the upside-down piano playing was cool for like 2 seconds. They took a risk, and unfortunately it didn't pay off. (Click for YouTube Link)



Kevin Colis
He is a good singer and performer, but I don't think he's good enough for this show. I think just about every other singer on the show could beat him out in the end. He needed a song that really showcased his voice, and I don't think this song really did it. (Click for YouTube Link)




Matt Wilhelm
To me, this act is still a less-cooler fighting gravity. Not only did he fall, but he essentially did the same thing as his last performance, and it wasn't that much better the second time. I see how he tried to add a story, but it didn't work that well. And what is that he says? There's something so cool he wants try NEXT time? Well why didn't he do it THIS time because he's about to be voted off! (Click for YouTube Link)

Poplyfe
I definitely enjoyed them more this time than last, but I'm not sure they made the right song choice. I think they needed something more youthful. That said, they definitely performed this song well. Her voice was amazing yet again, and the band sounded great. I also liked the staging with the different squares. They put a cool, youthful twist on a classic song, and I was quite impressed considering how much I didn't really care for them last time.  (Click for YouTube Link)

West Springfield Dance Team
Every time they perform I am always bewildered as to how they are high school dance group. They are so professional and synchronized in their moves. I really liked the choreography this week and am even more impressed that they've put together 3 different routines in a span of 3 weeks. They are a great group and really deserve recognition.  (Click for YouTube Link)


Melissa Villasenor
I must say I am impressed (no pun intended) that she brings us new impressions every week. Even though I didn't know all the people she impersonated, I still found it pretty funny. She is definitely one of the most talented performers on the show; doing impressions is an extremely unique talent. I didn't think her performance was exceptional or that much better than her previous ones, but it was still pretty good. (Click for YouTube Link)


Team iLuminate
This performance was sort of a combination of their last two performances. I like how they still did the dancing (which is always cool) but I also liked the unique video game stuff they did. There's SO MUCH they can do with there act and I can't wait to see what they do next time! They are definitely one of the top 3 acts in the whole show (Click for YouTube Link)


Daniel Joseph Baker
I thought this performance was very good, but I miss the theatricality and fireceness of the last one. He has a great voice and is a very good piano player, but I think his exuberance is what really sets him apart, and I thought that was missing from this performance. I still thought it was great, I was just a tad bit disappointed.  (Click for YouTube Link)



Miami All Stars
That was definitely very Vegas. It was big and grand with costumes, theme, and all. They do a lot of cool things and they can definitely take their dancing in a lot of different ways and styles. I didn't think they were super amazing or anything, but they were definitely good. They definitely have the benefit of having a lot of people to fill up the entire stage. (Click for YouTube Link)




Lys Agnes
She has a very good voice, and I really liked her song choice and how the stage was put together. I don't think she is as good as Barbara Padilla or Jackie Evancho, but she was definitely good. Just please don't vote for her just because of her story. (Click for YouTube Link)





That was definitely one of the best Semi-Final rounds I have ever seen! As I watched the act recaps I was like "oh I liked that act! oh wait I liked that act too! And that one!" I have NO idea how I'm going to   pick a top 5! I ranked them all below but honestly I thought my top 8 acts were all GREAT.

My Ranking:
(from best act to worst)

1. Team iLuminate
2. Poplyfe
3. West Springfield Dance Team
4. Beth Ann Robinson
5. Daniel Joseph Baker

6. Miami All Stars
7. Lys Agnes
8. Melissa Villasenor
9. Zuma Zuma
10. Matt Wilhelm
11. Kevin Colis
12. Sandou Trio Russian Bar

No comments:

Post a Comment