Tuesday, August 16, 2011

(6) Quarter-Finals Round 6 [Wild Card] REVIEW

The Kinetic King
Well I must admit I'm glad it worked, but I can't say it was as exciting as I hoped it would be. Parts of it were cool, but it was a little too slow. I prefer the fast paced 'explosion' of all the sticks. I would even go as far as to say there were parts of his first failed performance that were better than parts of this one (such as the face of popsicle sticks that flipped over). Overall, not a terrible performance, but not nearly as exciting as it needed to be for him to deserve to move on. (Click for YouTube Link)


Those Funny Little People
It's a nice / cute idea and everything, but it's just plain and simply not worthy of being on America's Got Talent. As Piers said, "It's not what this show is about". Maybe it's great for kids, but not a show like this. It's sort of upsetting to see a spot in the Wild Card act taken up by a group like this. (Click for YouTube Link)


Avery and the Calico Hearts
This was definitely better than all their previous performances, but I still don't think they are good enough. Avery's voice is very good (although not fully mature), but the backup singers just are not that good. They sound sort of screechy sometimes. It was a good performance, but it wasn't a great one. (Click for YouTube Link)


Seth Grabel
Unfortunately, this was just like his last performance. It was very big and grand and 'vegas', but the trick itself was not that great. I've seen giant objects appear on the stage a million times before, and I've seen it done with items bigger than that. The acrobatics and little kids were great, but the actual magic was very disappointing. (Click for YouTube Link)


Shevonne
It was a very nice performance, but it just wasn't anything special. She probably deserved to be in the quarter-finals originally because a lot of the other sings weren't as good as her. She's definitely got work to do, and in the end I'm just not sure she can compete with the other voices on the show. Not a terrible performance, but not an amazing one either. (Click for YouTube Link)


West Springfield Dance Team
This group does a lot of cool moves that I've never seen before. I also really like their creepiness. I must say, however, that their last performance was better. I must cut them some slack, however, because they didn't have as much time to prepare. I think if they would have had more time they would have been able to put together something really good, so I'm disappointed they didn't get that chance. (Click for YouTube Link)


J Chris Newberg
Some of it was definitely funny and I enjoyed it more than his last performance, but I'm still not WOW-ed. He's a good comedian, but he's not a great one. Melissa Villasenor, although more of an impressionist than a comedian, is still better than him in my opinion. (Click for YouTube Link)


Yellow Designs Stunt Team
As far as I'm concerned, this was essentially the same as their last performance (including the guy falling) but with a different theme. However, this is not necessarily a bad thing. There last performance was good, and so was this one. It's sort of difficult for me to accept the 'marriage' of theatre and BMX, but I think I'm getting more used to it. (Click for YouTube Link)


Charles Peachock
I like how he brings something different every time, but this performance definitely wasn't as good as the last few. I don't think it was as dangerous as his Vegas performance or as cool as his last quarter-final one. I was actually really looking forward to seeing him do something cool, but it just wasn't that great, regardless of whether he dropped anything or not. (Click for YouTube Link)


The Fiddleheads
I thought it was a fairly good performance, and better than their last one, but not as good as their Vegas one. I think the song was a little too high for the lead singer who usually has a really good voice. (Click for YouTube Link)


Summerwind Skippers
WOW! I loved the skipping, loved the dancing, and loved the danger! It's so fast-paced and yet so slick. I really love this group, and was really disappointed when they went home week 3. You also have to take into account how little time they had to prepare. Overall, a really cool and exciting act. (Click for YouTube Link)


Landon Swank
I thought the trick was better in his last performance, but this was definitely more entertaining. It was big and grand but also very dangerous and scary. There was something going on the entire time to watch, which kept me entertained. (Click for YouTube Link)




Overall, I am actually fairly disappointed with performances tonight. After my Top 4 picks, I struggled to rank the rest of them because I really didn't think any of them were that great. I am fairly confident that my top 2 picks will make it through, but after that I am not sure.


MY RANKING:
(from best act to worse)

1. Summerwind Skippers
2. Landon Swank
3. Yellow Designs Stunt Team
4. West Springfield Dance Team

5. Avery and the Calico Hearts
6. Shevonne
7. The Fiddleheads
8. J Chris Newberg
9. Seth Grabel
10. The Kinetic King
11. Charles Peachock
12. Those Funny Little People

Do you agree with me? Disagree with me? Share your comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment