Tuesday, July 3, 2012

(7) Quarter-Finals Round 1 REVIEW

The Distinguished Men of Brass
I thought it was just OK. I'm not sure it was better than their last few performances. I agree with Howie that it is more of a half-time act. ITtwas exciting in some ways, but I wasn't overly impressed. They are definitely very talented men considering how much they move while still carrying those instruments.

Edon
Based on his past performances, I know that this kid has a great voice, but I personally don't think this was the best song to showcase it. Although I wasn't thrilled with this performance, I know he has a great voice and therefore will definitely consider putting him in my top 4.

Jarrett and Raja
Although it was a good illusion, I have seen something similar to this before. I might have some sort of idea how it was done but I don't think the television showed as much as the audience might have seen. I would also like to note that is probably the first time a live audience has boo-ed an act. The way I see it, if an audience boo-s an act, they do not deserve to move through.

Lil Star
I love her energy and the strength in her moves, but I don't think this performance was as good as her previous ones. She tended to be off with the music at some parts, and I just don't think the dancing was as good. I originally thought she was one of the better child acts, but now I'm not so sure. I definitely give her credit considering her age, but I think I agree with Howard.

Todd Oliver
I love his concept, but I agree that he needs better material. I also think there is some challenge with the dogs moving around while he is trying to manipulate them. I was hoping it would be better but I can't say it was terrible either.

American BMX Stunt Team
Some of the tricks and flips were pretty cool, but I honestly got kind of bored just watching them ride back and forth. I think they need more variety in the way they do the tricks in order to stay more entertaining.

Nikki Jensen
I like her voice based on what I've heard in her previous performances, but she didn't really stand out to me this time. I didn't like the song choice, and she seemed a bit timid. Singers can go really far in this competition if they play their cards right, but I don't think Nikki started out on the right foot.

The Scott Brothers
Wow. That was very impressive! That was very original and really unique. I love the moves and even the music and sound effects that accompanied them. By far the best act of the night so far. I loved the way they spun around the hat; I could have sworn there was a string attached to them. Great act and great performance.

Michael Nejad
I like the creativity, but this guy was terrible tonight. He was off with the background music the entire time and was just plain bad.

787 Crew
I really liked them. I disagree with Howie and HOward and actually think that this performance was better than the previous ones. They're very precise and I think they have a lot of good moves. They sort of remind me of Studio One Young Beast Society.


Shanice and Maurice Hayes
Again the singers let me down. I know that Shanice has a great voice, but I didn't think this performance was very good at all. I was surprised to hear the judges give them so much praise. Maybe I'm just missing something? I really just didn't think it sounded that good.



David Garibaldi and his CMYK's
Not sure it deserved a standing ovation, but definitely a great performance! I love the idea of the act and it was very well executed tonight with some great new ideas. I've always been amazed by speed painting and adding dance to it makes the actual painting part more enjoyable.


My Ranking:
(from best to worst)

1. The Scott Brothers
2. David Garibaldi and his CMYK's
3. 787 Crew
4. Edon

5. Todd Oliver
6. American BMX Stunt Team
7. The Distinguished Men of Brass
8. Shanice and Maurice Hayes
9. Jarrett and Raja
10. Nikki Jensen
11. Lil Star
12. Michael Nejad

No comments:

Post a Comment